Saturday, December 20, 2008

Peanut Butter Chocolate Cream Pie



I came up with this recipe during my college days because I missed this pie after I left the dorms (they served it every Sunday). It is now a family favorite. I will make it for Christmas dinner and post pictures when I do, especially so that the consistency of the peanut butter crumbs can be shown. I have never been able to come up with exact measurements for some of the ingredients because the amount needed varies due to humidity, etc. I do it by how the consistency looks, so pictures will help.

1 9-inch pie shell, baked according to recipe/package directions, cooled
1 6-serving size pkg. Chocolate Jell-o Pudding (I use Cook-n-Serve, but you can use Instant)
2-3 cups milk (depending on pudding type)
1/3 cup peanut butter
granulated sugar
all-purpose flour
1 cup whipping cream (or you can use Cool Whip instead of these last 3 ingredients. I always whip my own cream.)
powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

In a medium bowl, combine peanut butter, 3 Tbsp. sugar & 3 Tbsp. flour for starters. Beat with an electric mixer. This peanut butter mixture should be crumbly when it's done. If it isn't crumbly after beating, continue to add desired amounts of sugar and flour and beat (depending on how sweet you want it--more flour than sugar is usually needed to meet desired consistency, though). Crumbs should be moist, the size of peas or smaller, and not too dry. They should stick together a little bit. Sprinkle crumbs along the bottom and sides of pie crust. Set some crumbs aside to garnish the top of the pie. This is what the crumbs look like:

Mix pudding and milk according to package directions. Pour pudding into pie shell. You may want to spoon the pudding into the pie shell to avoid displacing any of the peanut butter crumbs. Refrigerate pie and allow to set.

Before serving, whip cream. When it's beginning to thicken, add powdered sugar to taste and vanilla. Finish beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipping cream (or Cool Whip) over top of pie. Sprinkle top of pie with remaining peanut butter crumbs. Then, cut, serve, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment