Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Amazing Pancakes!

This recipe is from The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook! Sometimes I secretly wish that I was married to the dude in charge of ATK so he could do all the amazing cooking at my house, but Steve is way cuter!
This is their standard pancake recipe, although I would consider it a buttermilk pancake recipe!

2 C. all-purpose flour
2 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
3 T. unsalted butter, melted
2 C. buttermilk
1-2 tsp. vegetable oil

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, and then the buttermilk. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well, and whisk very gently until the buttermilk mixture is just incorporated (a few lumps should remain). Be careful not to overmix the batter.
Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Brush the pan bottom with 1 tsp. oil. Using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake, add the batter to the skillet (only 2-3 pancakes will fit at a time) and cook until large bubbles begin to appear, about 2 min. Flip the pancakes and cook until golden brown on the second side, about 1 1/2 min. longer.
They suggest heating your oven to 200 degrees and putting a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on it to keep the pancakes warm while you cook them all.


*If you do not have buttermilk on hand, whisk 1 T. fresh lemon juice with 2 C. milk in a medium bowl and set aside for a few minutes to thicken.


I had to scrape the batter out of my 1/4 C. measure with my finger (I'm sure a mini spatula would also do the trick), and spread it around a little. The batter is so thick I thought I was making muffins for a second! These pancakes were so fluffy and delicious! I only ate two they were so big! 
I always try to follow their directions pretty precisely, since they did test to get this perfect recipe after all! :) I don't always have unsalted butter on hand though, so I used regular. They recommend using unsalted butter in everything because butter peeps put different amounts of salt in their butter and it can throw off your recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment