Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Spam Musubi

I know, I know. "What in the wor-.....SPAM?" you are saying to yourself. Us Squires did not grow up on canned meat, thank you very much. Spam is...weird. And in a can.
And it tastes weird.
Right?

Well, I am here to prove to you that Spam can actually be pretty delicious. I was introduced to this food by my old roommate April, who was from Hawai'i. It is a very common food there, and if you go to an L&L it will most definitely be on the menu.

So here it is.


Spam Musubi

Ingredients:
-2 cups cooked sticky rice
-1 can of spam
-1/4 c. teriyaki sauce (I use Yoshida's from Costco, and it's pretty delish)
OR substitute with 1/4 soy sauce with some sugar (about 2 tsps.) mixed in over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
-2 sheets of nori (dried seaweed)

Take the Spam out of the can, and cut it in slices about 1/4-1/3 an inch thick.
Soak these in your sauce for a few minutes, then place in a frying pan. Fry until brown.
Take rice and pack until you have a small cake of rice. I usually use my hands, but you can use anything that works for you (including the empty Spam can).
Then, place the cooked spam on top. Break a strip of nori off the sheet, about 2 1/2" wide.
Wrap the nori around the rice and spam.
Get your finger wet, and wet the place where the ends of the nori overlap. Once these are wet, they should stick together.
And voila! You have your Spam Musubi!

This recipe makes 5-6 rolls. Two are usually good for me, though sometimes I will eat three. A yummy, easy meal!

2 comments:

  1. So what's the nutritional value of said meal? Ha ha! I can't believe April turned you! Why didn't you make this for me when you were home? May be the only way I'd try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you shared! I'll let you know how we like it...that is, after I feel my pregnant self can handle the smell of SPAM!

    ReplyDelete