Saturday, October 25, 2008

Flat Pancakes aka. Swedish Pancakes!

2 eggs
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. flour
1 C. milk
1/4 C. butter

1 C. water



Beat eggs in large bowl; add sugar and salt. Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 flour; beat smooth (use electric mixer). Add remaining flour and milk; beat smooth. Melt butter; add to mixture. Beat again to mix. Add water and mix.


I'm not sure this picture is helpful, but the batter will look quite runny after you add the water.

Heat a large electric skillet to 380 degrees. (Best to have a skillet with a handle on it) Spray with Pam. Scoop 1/3 - 1/2 C. batter into hot pan and tip pan immediately to completely cover bottom of pan. Cook until edges turn dark brown, then turn with pancake turner and brown on the other side.

*Note: I cannot find an electric skillet with a handle anywhere. Grandma said she had to special order hers 10 years ago! So I just use my non-stick skillets on the stove. It took a couple of times to figure out exactly where to put my knob to get my heat right. So, I have included a few pictures of the pancakes in hopes that it will help you to know what they should look like.


This is my stove set-up so I can cook two at a time!

This is what I like mine to look like!


Steve prefers his like this!

Place on warm plate; sprinkle with sugar. Roll them into a cylinder and eat.



I have two plates next to the stove so I can flip the pancakes onto them. Steve sprinkles the sugar on and rolls them while I start on the next two!



The final product!
We fold ours in half so the sugar doesn't fall out the bottom!


Most people like to eat these with their fingers . . . the children certainly do! They are also good spread with jam. Please do not confuse these with crepes, they are not the same.


This recipe is from Steve's maternal grandma, Aleen Madsen. The very first time I stayed with her in Bountiful, UT (while Steve and I were still dating) she made us these for breakfast. We've had them every time we've been back! Steve remembers sitting around with all his siblings and cousins devouring grandma's flat pancakes. We love them at our house too! They are Byron's most requested breakfast, sometimes even a Sunday night dinner! We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

As a final note we always double this recipe for my little family. There is usually just enough batter left for Steve to cook some up the next day for his breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment